[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Gustavo Pires devgutt@REDACTED
Fri Feb 14 04:45:27 CET 2014

I'm new in Erlang as well and I would like to share my feelings about
the acronym OTP. This is actually a silly discussion but it was
something that bothered me in the beginning, specially because I was
not sure that, because of the name Telecom, this would be appropriate
for my use case.

The problem is, in the beginning, there is so many options that you
could consider and Erlang isn't exactly in the mainstream or an easy
bet. I could have chosen any language, just because many of them would
solve my problem, but I fell in love with Erlang, most because of some
chapters of LYSE (thanks Fred!) and the insightful and persuasive
posts of Joe.

Of course, I'm ashamed to consider dismissing a language only because
of the name. But I assure you that was not because of the name _per
se_, but because of the sensation that maybe Erlang is a language for
Telecom only.