[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Thu Feb 13 21:54:32 CET 2014

On 02/13/2014 08:02 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Garrett Smith <g@REDACTED> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sigh. This *is* confusing. It just is.
>>>
>>> Loïc you *cannot* use Erlang without OTP. The VM starts a system,
>>> which consists of applications, which are supervisory trees of
>>> gen_servers.
>>
>> This is wrong -  you can use Erlang without OTP.
>>
>> OTP loads 60 odd modules, starts a code server and some other stuff and
>> *then* executes your code.
>>
>> You can "easily" roll your own system that uses far fewer modules and gets
>> you up
>> and running, but then you don't get the shell, the code loader and a load of
>> other goodies.
>>
>> Appendix 3 of the 2'nd edition of Programming Erlang tells you *exactly* how
>> to do this.
>>
>> To summarise  Appendix 3 - I load 3 modules in 20ms instead of the 1.1s
>> Erlang + OTP takes (on the same machine) then you're up and running, not OTP
>> but a with a code loader and simple I/O system.
>
> Book ordered.
>
> The prospect of getting off the OTP facility is very appealing. If
> it's that trivial to get the same features without incurring the cost
> of those modules, I'm in.
>
> I think the needle could move here.

Getting something up and running is trivial and only takes a few
minutes. Getting something with the same features as OTP but without the
cost? I hope you got a lot of free time.

Of course you can probably cut a certain amount of features out, few
people use release upgrades for example. You can probably cut out the io
server and other features related to distribution if you're making a
single-node system.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu