[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Thu Feb 13 19:41:57 CET 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya <
mahesh@REDACTED> wrote:

> Marketing matters - true.

Absolutely and if somebody would like to pony up a few million dollars for
this
or even a few million kronor we can get to work.

Right now there is no budget for this - so what you get is what people
freely provide.

Most Erlang developers are using Erlang to gain a commercial advantage for
their company
so I can't imagine WhatsApp or Opscode ponying up $$$ to help their
competitors
catch up. They must be *overjoyed* that their competitors *don't* use
Erlang.

Erlang solutions do want more Erlang users - but they spend their marketing
budget on the
conferences.

There is no commercial interest in stepping up the marketing.

Erlang programmers would like there to be more erlang programming job
opportunities (for job
security) but they do not want to finance a marketing push.

Somebody has to gain financially from a marketing push - but who is this?

Cheers

/Joe