[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Anthony Ramine n.oxyde@REDACTED
Thu Feb 13 17:28:59 CET 2014

Replied inline.

--
Anthony Ramine

Le 13 févr. 2014 à 17:20, kraythe . <kraythe@REDACTED> a écrit :

> Ahh but here you are wrong. Java itself is analogous to Erlang without OTP. you don't HAVE to use the JDK libraries beyond java.lang. You would be a bit crazy reproducing the wheel if you did so but it is not a requirement of writing java. In fact many Java controlled micro devices only allow a very small subset of the JDK to be used. So there is essentially no difference.

What? I never once wrote about the JDK, I wrote about *Java the language*, which spec is quite significant, how many keywords and different things are there in Java? Classes, interfaces, public methods, private methods, protected methods, static fields, static methods, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseam. This is *way larger* than Erlang the language. Java without OOP isn’t Java. Java without the JDK is still Java.

> <snip/>

> Naming matters and it is also pretty easy to fix.

It is certainly not easy to fix, how many documents, online and offline, would need to be rewritten? How many books to print? How many old timers to inform? How much time lost explaining more historical stuff in talks?