[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Hugo Mills hugo@REDACTED
Thu Feb 13 09:12:50 CET 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:22:10PM +1300, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> On 13/02/2014, at 11:56 AM, Loïc Hoguin wrote:
>

> > The same situation exists with many other names. Few can tell you what SMTP, IMAP, HTTP, REST, SOAP, HTML, XML, JPEG, PNG and others stand for without looking it up and not making a mistake or three.
>
> Let's try.
>
> 	Simple Mail Transport Protocol
> 	Internet Message Access Protocol
> 	HyperText Transfer Protocol
> 	REpresentational State Transfer
> 	Simple Object Access Protocol
> 		to be honest, my first thought was
> 		Symbolic Optimal Assembly Program,
> 		but I don't suppose many people use IBM 650s
> 		these days.

   Officially, it's just "SOAP" these days. It was originally from the
phrase above, but they decided to keep the acronym and drop the
underlying words, because it's not simple and it's not about object
access.

> 	HyperText Markup Language
> 	eXtensible Markup Language
> 	Joint Photographic Experts Group