[erlang-questions] Trying to learn the Erlang Way

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Wed Feb 12 20:42:07 CET 2014

Interesting problem.

How to you map your problem onto a process structure?

Method 1 - let the process manage regions of space

How about starting with 1000 parallel processes. Each one managing a point
in a 10x10x10 grid in 3-d space.

In pass one you compute which process "owns" each particle. Thereafter each
process only manages the
particles that it owns. Once it knows the velocity and position of each
particle it can compute if the particle
will leave the zone in the next time tick. In the case when a particle
leaves a zone, you just send a message
to the next zone controller process that you predict it will move to.

I know that some games companies use this technique for large multi-user
games written in Erlang. They use a 2D map of squares and each square is
controlled by an Erlang processes. This scales nicely on a cluster, since
moving off a map square just moves the computation to a new processes and
possible a
new node.

Method 2 - let the processes manage a limited set of processes

I guess if you didn't have too many particles you could have one process
per particle. Each process
could have a "gossip" set (the set of "nearby in space" processes) which
send messages to it's neighbours as things happen. Or you could let one
process handle 10 particles ...

I guess it al depends on the numbers - I don't think you said how many
particles there were etc.
I always like to know some numbers - are we talking millions or thousands
of particles? How many
interactions/sec take place etc.

In any case you'll have to model the problem in different ways and measure.

Cheers

/Joe