[erlang-questions] Erlang term to ASCII

Matthew Evans mattevans123@REDACTED
Sun Feb 9 00:01:58 CET 2014

The way I did it recently was (a bit convoluted):
    LookingPrettierTerm = lists:flatten(io_lib:format("~p",[NastyTerm])),    LookingEvenPrettierTerm = re:replace(LookingPrettierTerm, "\\s+", "", [global,{return,list}]),    io:fwrite("Term looking pretty ~s~n",[LookingEvenPrettierTerm]),

Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 14:49:29 -0800
From: bob@REDACTED
To: a.brandon.clark@REDACTED
CC: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Erlang term to ASCII

Hashing of a string representation is probably not a great way to ensure that both systems agree on that structure. Even different versions of Erlang disagree on what exactly the representation of ~p should be for a given term, and I'm not talking about whitespace. It's simply not well suited for your purpose, even though it might appear to work for most of the cases you have now.

You could write your own Erlang implementation of whatever the CMS does, but you're unlikely to implement it correctly by taking "~p" and then trying to normalize the output.

You really should come up with a scheme to either hash the data structure itself (like Erlang's phash2 but portable to both sides of your system), or you should hash the output of a representation that has absolutely no flexibility in how data is encoded. Erlang's External Term Format is a lot closer, but there are still multiple valid ways to encode the same thing (particularly the atom cache table, using bigger encodings than necessary, etc.).