[erlang-questions] Controversial subject of the day: tabs and spaces for indentation

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Wed Feb 5 22:46:33 CET 2014

On 02/05/2014 10:40 AM, Ulf Wiger wrote:
> One thing for emacs users (or those who need to deal with them) to do is to insert the following at the top of each erlang module:
>
> %% -*- erlang-indent-level: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*-
>
> (Perhaps others have suggestions for the ultimate settings here)
The ULTIMATE modeline settings should be:
%-*-Mode:erlang;coding:utf-8;tab-width:4;c-basic-offset:4;indent-tabs-mode:()-*-
% ex: set ft=erlang fenc=utf-8 sts=4 ts=4 sw=4 et:

latin1 would need to be used for the older Erlang source code that requires it (probably all of OTP) which unfortunately makes the emacs modeline more than 80 characters.  Having both an emacs and a vi modeline can keep both sets of users happy.

It is typical to avoid tabs and prefer spaces, so it would be nice to have that be standard, since the OTP code is becoming unreadable due to characters that don't matter (due to not making a decision, you are still deciding to allow both tabs and spaces).  Tab stops were never standard and only really relate to typewriters historically (who uses those for Erlang?).