[erlang-questions] Controversial subject of the day: tabs and spaces for indentation

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Wed Feb 5 22:32:05 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 10:18 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:

> There is no evil, this is at most a minor annoyance that comes with
> pointless debates shrouded by blind religious beliefs.
>
> The answer is always "submit code the way the project owner wants you to"
> and no amount of debating is going to change that, ever.
>
> It's not even just tabs vs spaces, plenty other minor things are the
> author's choice, including number of columns, newline characters, source
> code encoding, but also major things like mandatory documentation or tests
> and backward compatibility.

All true, except that as a project owner I want to make it as easy as
possible for people to contribute. As it is now, people who don't use
emacs have to do a more tedious work just to match whitespace... I
don't like that kind of useless work and it makes me less motivated to
submit patches.

If it's deemed that we are a minority not worth considering changing
the defaults, then fine. At least it's an explicit choice and we know
exactly what is going on.

If the debate uncovers some workarounds that make the pain less
painful (pun intended), then even better.

regards,
Vlad