[erlang-questions] Controversial subject of the day: tabs and spaces for indentation

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Wed Feb 5 20:24:28 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 8:18 PM, Garrett Smith <g@REDACTED> wrote:
> It seems to me that this problem is easily solved by inverting the interests:
>
> - Fix erlang-mode to default to all spaces
>
> - OTP team includes the appropriate Emacs code headers in the source
> files (or the dot file in the source root directory as Magnus just
> pointed out) and leave them horribly formatted, per their preference
>
> Does this not trivially solve the world's Erlang indent problems?

Unfortunately, no. If I make a patch without emacs, my editor will
still use something else than a mix of tabs and spaces, so it will
have to be OTP-ified by hand (copying indentation from other lines) or
by running it through emacs just for that.

Which, in a funny turn of events, brings me to a question related to
the previous "holy war": can emacs open, reindent and save files in
bach mode? That would indeed help! (even if one would still have to
install emacs).

/Vlad