[erlang-questions] Controversial subject of the day: tabs and spaces for indentation

Björn-Egil Dahlberg egil@REDACTED
Wed Feb 5 20:00:27 CET 2014

This is a war worth winning but it feels like every battle has been a
loss so far ..

As a member of the OTP-team and the *only* vim user, I can say that the
rest of OTP has utter disinterest to change the current format. (or so
it seems anyway =)

I guess Emacs does not allow indentation to be anything other than horrible.

Every time I've brought it up there is whining about some precious
little elisp file that can't handle the change.

I've gotten harassed on the number of '%' comment characters I'm
supposed to use for different context .. otherwise Emacs just explodes
.. or something.

Ok, so perhaps I'm being a bit dramatic here =)

The truth is that a lot of code in otp is emacs:ified - that is the
convention. I think it's bad - but i've managed.

Tabs are problematic because code-rendering tools for reviewing code has
a lot of issues with it. *We should remove them*, but I'll guess hell
will freeze over well before that happens.

// Björn-Egil