[erlang-questions] Controversial subject of the day: tabs and spaces for indentation

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Wed Feb 5 19:57:37 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 7:40 PM, Ulf Wiger <ulf@REDACTED> wrote:

> One thing for emacs users (or those who need to deal with them) to do is to insert the following at the top of each erlang module:
>
> %% -*- erlang-indent-level: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*-
>
> (Perhaps others have suggestions for the ultimate settings here)

That (or whatever we agree on) would help a lot. The heavy question is
- is it reasonable to change accordingly all OTP source files? Maybe
just before setting the final 17.0.0 tag (or some other convenient
moment)?

By the way, there is another golden rule that the OTP sources are
challenging: trailing spaces on lines... Here I think that the problem
are the emacs templates, as almost all cases I've seen are in
comments.

regards,
Vlad