[erlang-questions] Controversial subject of the day: tabs and spaces for indentation

Garrett Smith <>
Wed Feb 5 19:35:48 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 07:14:30PM +0100, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> It's been almost a full day since the last controversial issue was
>> discussed here and I feel it's time for a new one (well, it's actually
>> old).
>> The default indentation used by the erlang-mode uses a mix of tabs and
>> spaces. Whatever side one is in the "tabs vs spaces" war, mixing them
>> is the common enemy!
> As a vim user, I find the emacs indent mode for erlang incredibly
> annoying to 'fake' by hand. I'd love to see the tabs die as mixing tabs
> and spaces makes erlang files a horrible mess when your tabstop is not
> 8.

I'm curious what the argument *for* mixed tabs and spaces is. It is to
save precious disk space?

P.S. I agree, going two to three days without religious material on
the Erlang list is, well, it's just hard to go back now.