[erlang-questions] Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Mark Nijhof mark.nijhof@REDACTED
Wed Feb 5 15:07:19 CET 2014

That build pack seems out of date, I looked at this for a little while back
for a personal little thing but I think it was for r15. Is there an updated
fork, or does it just work?

-Mark

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Sean Cribbs <sean@REDACTED> wrote:

> I'm sure Tristan and Geoff will tell you, there is a buildpack that makes
> it pretty easy to deploy Erlang applications on Heroku. It doesn't build
> releases, but it does builds and deploys your project directly from a "git
> push", which is pretty awesome.
>
> https://github.com/archaelus/heroku-buildpack-erlang
>

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Dmitry Kolesnikov <dmkolesnikov@REDACTED>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The release is extremely great feature, from my perspective.
>> You can product "self" deployable packages with help of bash magic.
>> This makes not needs to have Erlang pre-installend on any of the target
>> machines.
>>
>> - Dmitry
>>
>> On 05 Feb 2014, at 15:49, Ivan Uemlianin <ivan@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>> Isn't (part of) the point of erlang releases that you don't need erlang
>> pre-installed?
>>
>> Ivan
>>
>> --
>> festina lente
>>

>> On 5 Feb 2014, at 12:44, Vance Shipley <vances@REDACTED> wrote:
>>

>> On Feb 5, 2014 5:01 PM, "Loïc Hoguin" <essen@REDACTED> wrote:
>> >
>> > Pardon my ignorance but what does a Java hosting company do exactly
>> compared to just getting a server?
>>
>> When I hear "Java hosting" or "Erlang hosting" I think of cloud
>> environments which provide JVM or BEAM virtual machines (emulators) where
>> you aren't bothered by operating systems. You pay for instances of the VMs
>> and transactional bandwidth. This is what Google AppEngine provides for
>> Java, Python and Go.  I've developed cloud services using Go on Appengine
>> and it was wonderfully clean and simple.
>>
>> One future for Erlang may be the LING VM from http://erlangonxen.comwhich runs directly on the Xen hypervisor which is wicked cool. I've got
>> big hope for this.
>>
>> But in practice I'm sure that it means Linux VMs with Erlang/OTP
>> preinstalled.

> --
> Sean Cribbs <sean@REDACTED>
> Software Engineer