[erlang-questions] The quest for the perfect programming language for massive concurrency.

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue Feb 4 10:29:35 CET 2014

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Vlad Dumitrescu <vladdu55@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> There's a lot of interesting stuff in your post, as always, and most of it
> I agree 100% but I have this nagging feeling that there's a
> misunderstanding between us and we're not talking about the same things.
>
> In short, the things you enumerate as advantages of a textual program and
> the drawbacks of the graphical ones aren't all related to the
> textual/graphical attribute of the program. That Excel can't be scripted in
> the same language in all environments has nothing to do with it having a
> GUI. That Eclipse starts with a "welcome" page that can be confusing, that
> has nothing to do with GUIs either.
>
> Of course, if we are comparing (say) Emacs in console mode and Eclipse,
> then we can pick on this kind of detail. What I tried to compare was what
> could be done with one or other kind of interface. Most things can be done
> just as well with either; some things work better with one of them,
> depending of the way the user's brain is wired: I, for example, have easier
> to work with images/icons/color coding/visual structure. Others, like you,
> prefer plain text. Excellent! I'm not bashing textual interfaces just
> because I happen to have other ways that work better for me in certain
> cases.
>
> Everyone I know draws pen-and-paper diagrams and sketches and charts and
> finds them useful. If they are useful when drawn by hand, they are useful
> when drawn by a program. If existing programs are drawing incomprehensible
> diagrams, it doesn't mean that the right diagram would be just as useless.
>
> If more research was done on things that are actually helping people
> rather than on things that look good on resumes, then I think we would have
> much better tools. Likewise, if more thought went to creating a GUI that is
> actually helping people rather than cramming more cool features into that
> program, then we'd have much better GUIs. These shortcomings are not
> intrinsic to a kind of tool or program or interface, so I think we should
> try to keep them apart.

Agree 100%

I have a idea of what I'd like - I've been thinking about this for many
years

I'd like to see two windows.

In window one I type my program. There is a single button under the window.
The button has an icon of Sherlock Holmes on it.

I press the Sherlock button.

Sherlock analyses my text fragment comparing it to all the programs in the
entire universe
that have ever been written - in the second window it says
"this program is very similar to ..." or "this is a new idea ..."
"did you know that XXX is working on this at this very moment ..."

I've experiment with this is several forms - I want to find "the most
similar thing to
the given thing" - this is an extremely difficult problem.

I write code because it is quicker to write the code from scratch than
finding out
if somebody else has written it.

Almost invariably if I can find that somebody else has written some code, it
does not do precisely what I want - but a near miss would be good enough.
If I could understand it I could modify it to suit my needs.

We need mechanisms merge code, but the problem is we don't know where the
code
is that needs to be merged.

If I publish a program, people will cut-and-paste from this code forming
new code.
Changes made in the cut-and-paste code will not back propagate into the
original code.

One algorithm I've played with is least-compression-difference.

A and B are similar if the size(compress(A)) is almost the same as
size(compress(A ++ B))
I guess the similarity detection  algorithms and sliding checksums used in
rsync
would be useful, or Bayesian inference or Latent Dirchlet allocation.

I also dislike files and directories. They are totally useless for
organizing information.

When I've typed my small program into a text box, I have to store it in
a file - but what should the file name be, and in which directory? How
will I find it again later?

As for editors the best I have found is org-mode in emacs - outline editors
are great - since they support two levels of abstraction. Editing content,
and editing structure.

Emacs is great at paragraph editing, but not good at structure editing.
I can't easily flip the order of this and the last paragraph. I guess I
could
write a macro for this, but it would be nice if it did this out of the box.
org-mode solves a lot of these problems.

One day IDEs might help me think - I think some kind of synergy between
a text editor, a search engine and a IRC thingy would be good.

IRC is great - if I knew who to talk to and where they hang out.

Computers should serve our needs - not like it is today where we serve
their needs.

/Joe