[erlang-questions] 0MQ libraries

Joe Armstrong <>
Sun Feb 2 18:02:56 CET 2014

I'm slightly confused here.

I was thinking of implementing http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:23

The text in RFC says

This Specification is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY
or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for
more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
License along with this program;

The words "with this program" do not make sense - there is no program. Just
a spec of
what you see on the wire. How can I receive a copy of a program when there
is no program?

Then the text is copyrighted and licensed in three different ways.

Do I have to do a darkroom implementation and swear on the bones of my
dearly lamented Aunty Doreen that I have never read the C++ code on the
zero MQ site?

I just want to read the spec and implement it. This is presumably why it
has been published.

RFCs accepted by ISOC are described in

In their wisdom ISOC do not license RFCs - but they retain a copyright.

I would be very happy to a see a change in the ZMQ RFCs in line with what
ISOC does.