[erlang-questions] What lib to use for http requests

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Mon Dec 15 19:45:13 CET 2014

On 12/15, Loïc Hoguin wrote:

> The RFC723x ones are much better though, they don't leave much room for
> interpretation (though some things are still undefined) so implementations
> following them should be much more compatible.

Yes and no. Some features, like dropping support for Header
line-folding, could mean that if you religiously implemented HTTP/1.1
RFCs before RFCs 723x, you may suddenly find other HTTP/1.1 servers (who
also respect their spec, though a newer one) explode on you.

Intuitively, the issue is that HTTP/1.1 has had 3 revisions (or more)
without a single version number change.

If I want to have a truly flexible client, server, or proxy, I likely
have to disregard that section of the new RFCs and keep implementing the
old stuff, at least until the point where people start sending more
garbage headers preceded by whitespace in practice, to the extent
Postel's law dictates I should now switch over and pander to currently
broken clients and servers rather than previously strict and correct
ones.

Did I mention I really loathe HTTP on this list before?