[erlang-questions] Onboarding programmers who are new to Erlang

Leonard Boyce leonard.boyce@REDACTED
Fri Aug 29 14:46:09 CEST 2014

Thanks to all of you you provided feedback on this thread. There are
definitely some good suggestions.

One thing I did would like to point out is something referenced by
Daniel who pointed me to this link:
http://www.erlang.org/course/course.html
This *really* needs to be both edited and updated. It uses "built-in"
functions such as list(), integer() which do not seem to exist in
erlang, and it's full of obvious errors.
It does not really a great light on Erlang when the 'official'
examples would not work for someone just working their way through the
'4 - Day Course'

Example 1: Pattern Matching
http://www.erlang.org/course/sequential_programming.html#patterns

A = 10
Succeeds - binds A to 10

{B, C, D} = {10, foo, bar}
Succeeds - binds B to 10, C to foo and D
to bar

{A, A, B} = {abc, abc, foo}
Succeeds - binds A to abc, B to foo

{A, A, B} = {abc, def, 123}
Fails
[A,B,C] = [1,2,3]
Succeeds - binds A to 1, B to 2, C to 3
[A,B,C,D] = [1,2,3]
Fails

Example 2: Examples of Guards
http://www.erlang.org/course/sequential_programming.html#guardexample
number(X) - X is a number
integer(X) - X is an integer
float(X) - X is a float
atom(X) - X is an atom
tuple(X) - X is a tuple
list(X) - X is a list

Is there anywhere we can submit pull requests for editorial of the website?

Leonard