[erlang-questions] Erlang and Akka

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Thu Aug 28 14:18:39 CEST 2014

On 08/28, Xiao Jia wrote:
> But in such languages as C++/Java/... we are not forced to mutate variables
> so we can still employ some coding style/guidance of creating new objects
> instead of mutating existing objects most of the time.
>
> For example in C++
>   const int x1 = 1;
>   const int x2 = x1 + 1;

Ah but did the people writing the libraries you use think the same way?
One of the advantages of Erlang is that because of its constraints,
*everyone* programming in it ends up making decisions that are generally
amenable to concurrency and to some extent, distribution. Those who
don't tend to make libraries that hardly scale on a single node to begin
with (with heavy bottlenecks and whatnot).

There is value in having an entire community align their development
style to what you tend to need, whether forced or not.