[erlang-questions] Android and Erlang Data transfer

Anton Lavrik alavrik@REDACTED
Tue Aug 26 09:03:04 CEST 2014

Hi Gustavo,

Based on my experience connecting remote clients with Erlang servers,
Protocol Buffers works quite well. Unless you need something special (e.g.
extra performance or extra simplicity), I would stick with it. It is a
mature and very powerful tool. Important thing -- there are a couple of
stable and well-maintained implementations of Protocol Buffers for Erlang:

https://github.com/tomas-abrahamsson/gpb
https://github.com/alavrik/piqi-erlang

basho/protobuff is a fork of a really old Protobuf implementation for
Erlang. It has a lot of limitations and issues. I wouldn't recommend it.

I am not very knowledgeable about what people use on Android. One thing I
heard that the stock Protocol Buffers for Java implementation may be a bit
too heavy for mobile clients. You may want to check this alternative
implementation: https://github.com/square/wire

For transport, I'd recommend HTTP/HTTPS. Again, unless you need something
special.

You may also want to take a look at piqi-rpc. It helps to write Erlang
servers and gives clients a choice to use Protocol Buffers, JSON or XML for
making RPC-style calls over plain HTTP (I am an author of this tool).

Anton