[erlang-questions] Erlang code reuse

Tyler Margison kolorahl@REDACTED
Fri Aug 22 20:35:52 CEST 2014

I'm not an Erlang expert, so others are more than welcome to correct me on
this, but I do not believe Erlang allows "code reuse" in the manner you are
suggesting. Erlang has behaviors, which are modules that define an
interface and may have additional functionality of their own (see
gen_server), but there is no way to inherit from a module and override
select functions. I feel like this isn't a common scenario, though. In all
of my own projects I very rarely, if ever, find myself re-writing entire
modules to suit my own needs.

PS: I thnk Elixir <http://elixir-lang.org/> might be able to do this, but I
haven't looked at the documentation in-depth for a while and I may be wrong.