[erlang-questions] divrem eep?

Tony Rogvall tony@REDACTED
Thu Aug 21 13:36:33 CEST 2014

On 21 aug 2014, at 12:34, Björn-Egil Dahlberg <egil@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 2014-08-21 12:11, Tony Rogvall wrote:
>> May I suggest a two stage commit, in the good old OTP way?
>>
>> - First step is to implement a fairly simple bif that call the functionality I really want to get
>> (the remainder when doing bignum div calculations.)
>>
>> This includes  the work of checking special considerations with GC. It works now, but
>> needs more testing. As an example, I needed to blank the memory between the quotient
>> and the remainder in the case when both quotient and reminder where both bignums.
>> (It should not really be needed, but I think the debug compiled emulator/gc expect everything to be super clean?)
>>
>> - Seconds step is to use the previous work and implement an instruction that can be
>> used instead of call erlang:divrem when possible. This instruction needs a couple of
>> variants I guess: One that return a tuple and one that store remainder in
>> a X register as instructed by compiler.
>>
>> What about that ?
>
> Please, not an additional BIF.

Why not? What is the problem ?

> Do an optimization pass in beam-assembler to rewrite the two gc-bif-instructions to a single divrem instruction. Or better, yet .. just reorder them so you can please the loader and rewrite it in the load-step. No need for an additional assembly instruction in the compiler, just a specific instruction in the beam which is optimized with a load trick.

I think one boring thing with this is that I need then to be dependent on that the compiler is smart enough to figure
this out (even if I have to implement it my self ;-)
How can a user be sure that the compiler really this optimisation? I think at least Björn G used to have
thought about having to smart compilers ?

/Tony