[erlang-questions] Implement standard API (was process hierarchy and passing references)

Ladislav Lenart lenartlad@REDACTED
Fri Aug 15 16:02:10 CEST 2014

Hello.

On 15.8.2014 11:49, Frans Schneider wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Now that I got the supervision working, I am looking for a way to
> implement a standard API for every "main" server. The API implements a
> way for the main gen_server to call the RPC middleman and should also
> define standard callbacks for the main server the middleman can use. The
> API would also use some internal state. In a previous life, I would have
> used inheritance to accomplish this, but how can I do this in Erlang?
> I had a look at the supervisor implementation, but was wondering if
> there is a easier way to accomplish this.

I am not sure I follow you completely. However, if you want to parametrize
process behavior in Erlang (i.e. something similar to OO inheritance that you
mentioned), you can define your own behaviour (a module) and define different
callback modules that all implement it. The pattern is the same as with a
gen_server behaviour.

If this is not what you need, please provide us with a concrete example(s) that
you currently struggle with.

HTH,
Ladislav Lenart