[erlang-questions] global:register_name/2 hang?

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Thu Aug 14 14:22:37 CEST 2014

On 08/14, Bernard Duggan wrote:
> In looking for any kind of clues, I also came across these two posts:
> http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2010-November/054700.html
> http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2012-May/066369.html
>
> So here are my questions, I guess: Has anyone else encountered anything
> similar? Can anyone with better knowledge than me of global's inner
> workings suggest a mechanism whereby this could occur (and even better,
> how to avoid it)? Alternatively, can anyone suggest any good candidates
> for looking at really closely within global (or elsewhere) to try to pin
> this problem down?

There's also
http://dieswaytoofast.blogspot.ca/2012/08/erlang-deep-bugs-at-least-one-of-which.html
from Mahesh in here, who found about some weird use cases of global that
would lock up code entirely while everything got serialized through a
single overloaded/busy gen_server.

This specific case was fixed back in R15B01, but maybe something similar
is at play here?

Regards,
Fred.