[erlang-questions] Poll: How do you handle spurious messages?

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Wed Aug 6 17:30:39 CEST 2014

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Peer Stritzinger <peerst@REDACTED> wrote:
> I'm interested in how you deal with spurious messages to your servers i.e.
>

>   receive
>          ... your important messages here ...
>         Any ->    ???           % we don't want crud to acrete in the
> mailbox
>   end
>
> Or in gen_server speak:  what goes into your catchall
>
>   handle_info(_Info, State) ->  ???

I don't usually have catchalls, which I can get away with because I'm
using e2 (just requires a single handle_msg/3 function).

> Do you:
>
> 1. log the messages
>
>    1a.) as info
>    1b.) as warning
>    1c.) as error
>
> 2. count them e.g. with folsom or similar -> then what do you do with the
> counts?
>
> 3. Ignore them without trace?
>
> 4. Crash the server (gasp)?

I think, if you don't have a specific rationale for picking one, pick
the least defensive by default - so crash.