[erlang-questions] [Q] Why is Erlang VM better than traditional OS like Linux?

Ladislav Lenart lenartlad@REDACTED
Wed Aug 6 16:15:13 CEST 2014

Hello.

A friend of mine asked me:

Why is Erlang VM better at handling large volume of running processes than
traditional OS like Linux?

I have realized that I really don't know.

Is it because Erlang process occupies an order of magnitude less space than an
OS process?
Is it because a userspace scheduler such as Erlang VM is faster at process
switching? If so, why is that?
Is it somehow related to Erlang's share nothing philosophy? If so, how exactly?
Something else?

Thank you in advance for enlighten me (us),

Ladislav Lenart