[erlang-questions] Erlang, WSDL, SOAP.

John Kemp john@REDACTED
Tue Apr 29 17:14:22 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 04/29/2014 09:48 AM, Max Lapshin wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm writing Onvif implementation in Erlang and I experience pain (no,
> wrong, it is PAIN) with handling all that nice XML, XPath, SOAP, WSDL
>   stuff with ad-hoc self-written implementations.
>

> I have a very serious feeling that it is possible to write a generator
> of boiler plate code that will translate funcall to SOAP XML packet and
> back.

It is. And I would say that you are likely much better off writing that
generation code yourself (as long as your code generates the correct XML
for the recipient). Two things to be aware of are XML namespaces, and
clock skew if you are supplying timestamps.

For parsing SOAP, I've found that there is so much extra stuff in SOAP
messages that you may or may not need (and the SOAP language depends on
who's making the XML -- MSFT or Sun ;), it's usually been best for me to
use a generic SAX parser implementation, with customized parsers for the
specific bits that I need, and to essentially ignore the stuff I don't need.

If you need XML encryption/signature or WS-Security support however, it
will be very painful to write your own :)

- johnk