[erlang-questions] error_logger events sent by emulator

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Tue Apr 29 14:37:25 CEST 2014

Your suggested patch would remove the ugliest part of the current
behaviour, so if you have the time and energy, why not.

On Monday, April 28, Loïc Hoguin wrote:

>  *  Detect process crash
>  *  Extract stacktrace etc. as Erlang terms
>  *  Make sure the stacktrace contains no arguments, only arity
>  *  Make sure the stacktrace is below a certain size (for example last 5
> calls by default, perhaps configurable through process flags)
>  *  Send error as Erlang term to error_logger

[...]

> Well I could solve it exactly the way you did to be perfectly honest. I
> didn't think of that, so I ended up parsing the string for the info I needed
> (and so far it works OK). But I feel it'd be better with a proper OTP patch.

That illustrates another problem: the presence of the "VM hack" makes
it harder to discover the straightforward way.

(Aside: the defaults are wrong on spawn(), it should really
link/monitor by default. If it did that, it would be perfectly obvious
why the shell prints error messages. But it's probably a few decades
too late to change that.)

Matthias