[erlang-questions] running multiple instance of app release

Geib, Mark Mark.Geib@REDACTED
Fri Apr 25 17:27:57 CEST 2014

Thanks for the responses. This is not quite what I am trying to achieve.

I do not know at build time how many, etc. nodes or release are required. I want to build a release in a way that the users of the release can run multiple, 1 or 1000, instances of that release. As an example, say I write a replacement for the tcpdump utility. I need to produce a release that could be installed on a linux box and then any number of users on the box could run my new utility, all at the same time in separate erlang nodes.

The method that rabbitmq uses to delivery their broker does this, but it depends on erlang being installed on the host, etc. I am trying to achieve the same but with a release so that the users of the application do not need to install erlang, and any other libs my application uses.

The approach taken by rabbitmq is not so bad on systems with good package management, like debian, since I can handle the external dependencies within the debian package. It's just not as clean as erlang releases.

Thanks again,

Mark Geib
Principal Engineer
Cheyenne Software Engineering
mark.geib@REDACTED / 35-215

“We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”
― Mother Teresa