[erlang-questions] how do you build your releases with/without rebar?

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Sat Apr 12 11:17:52 CEST 2014

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@REDACTED> wrote:
> I also tested  erlang.mk, + erl.mk and was aware about the deps passed as
> variable in the makefile, but I didn't test it yet how it works with C
> binding. For example I wonder how Garrett does with erlang-czmq to embed it
> in another application with only the makefile. With rebar it's quite easy,
> but with erlang.mk how does it works? (in the case you have have 1 app
> depending from erlang-czmq and building from it).

I just did this the other day -- I added erlang-czmq to an uber
container project with 20+ apps. I copied top-level dir from the
github repo under a "lib" directory and it just worked.

I've done this with a variety of apps though -- some rebar, others a
home brewed Makefile, etc. -- and sometimes there is tweaking.

The top-level Makefile is very straight forward to write -- scanning
through this libs/apps dir and running "make" along the way. As
cryptic as they can be, I've found Makefiles incomparably simpler to
work with than rebar, at least as far as understanding what the tool
is doing and why.

Btw, I have a change to erlang.mk (I haven't assembled for Loic yet)
that looks for a configure file under a project and runs it to
generate a Makefile if one doesn't already exist. This is to
accommodate the awesome build process for erlang-czmq that you
(Benoit) drove :)

Garrett