[erlang-questions] Abusing OTP-8623 for high-priority messages

Dmitry Demeshchuk demeshchuk@REDACTED
Fri Apr 11 05:56:15 CEST 2014

Well, actually, if Michael pointed me at a module that handles that and it
was something similar, that could have been helpful :)

But, judging by the priorities from -128 to 127, it's probably a manual
filter of some kind, probably with an intermediate mailbox-reducer process.

Which is fine, actually, but my question wasn't "how to handle huge
queues?", but "is using OTP-8623 for that an anti-pattern of some sort?".

And yeah, definitely not "what platform should I use?".

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 7:28 PM, zxq9 <zxq9@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Thursday 10 April 2014 17:24:54 Michael Truog wrote:
> > On 04/10/2014 05:02 PM, Dmitry Demeshchuk wrote:
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > Today (yeah, just a couple years have passed since R14A) I learned
> about
> > > OTP-8623, which allows to do selective receive for messages that
> contain
> > > a known reference with O(1) complexity.
> > > This could potentially help with sending managing messages to the
> > > processes that may have overloaded inbox with thousands of messages.
> Say,
> > > we see that the process gets overloaded and we send an operational
> > > message of some kind ("discard the entire inbox", for example).
> > >
> > > Thoughts?
> >
> > You could get this interaction by creating an internal service with
> CloudI
> > (http://cloudi.org).
>
> Not so sure this is what the OP was getting at.
>
> "Is OTP8623 a lightweight way to overcome a clogged queue?" /= "Base
> everything you do on some new service stack"

Best regards,
Dmitry Demeshchuk