[erlang-questions] Reusing servers in a new supervision tree

David Welton davidnwelton@REDACTED
Wed Apr 9 12:38:58 CEST 2014

Hi,

We have a supervision tree that seems to be working well and we are
happy with.  However, now we need to be able to put the system in
"testing" mode, where, instead of a tree that has FSM A, and servers
B, C, D, E and F, we only have a tree with B, D, and F.

I don't think it's particularly important to be able to do this all
that smoothly or cleanly: we can probably even restart the machine to
put it in testing mode, or something like that - it's not a
configuration where we have any kind of stringent uptime requirements!

My idea is to actually have a separate application, say testing_mode
that has a testing_mode_sup that directly starts B, D, and F.  Can I
do that across applications, though?  Should I include the testing
mode sup in the same application as the other stuff?  We had some
hopes of keeping it separate so that various additional testing mode
pieces could be developed and distributed separately from the main
bunch of code.

Thank you for your thoughts,
--
David N. Welton