[erlang-questions] beam.smp startup time regression

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Fri Apr 4 16:10:12 CEST 2014

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Björn-Egil Dahlberg <egil@REDACTED> wrote:
> Most the time you measure has to do with file handling and loading
> modules. I believe there is around 75 files (modules) that loads
> during startup.

Recalling the code from the last time (2011) I touched escript.erl and
erl_prim_loader, it's a safe assumption to make that we won't be able
to exclude anything of significance out of the 75 files for
implementing a slim startup mode for escript.

> You can strip the system if you want faster load time and perhaps
> archives would be another choice.

Assuming, it would speed up load time, any reason why the default
install does not use stdlib-1.19.4.ez, ssl-5.5.3.ez etc, besides "we
didn't have a need for it"?

Also, maybe the code increase due to Bjorn's line number
implementation is also responsible for some of the time. And, no, I
wouldn't want to miss it :).

Node startup should be profiled, and given Erlang/OTP's primary use
case, there might be fruit reachable with a short ladder.

> Also, async threads delivers some overhead, you can disable them
> (don't do it).

Going from zero to ten kernel threads (spun up by default) is not
cheap, and the lowest I could get with R16B03-1 +A0 was "real 0.342s".