[erlang-questions] Maximising memory compactness

Szoboszlay Dániel dszoboszlay@REDACTED
Fri Apr 4 10:51:13 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'd be in favor of the half-word mode:
Having multiple 32-bit VMs would multiply the beam code stored in memory
as well. This could mean a lot of memory wasted.
Using 32-bit VMs would not solve the 4GB limit on stack/heap size. On the
contrary, the 4GB limit is for the total memory consumption of the 32-bit
node. In the half-word mode the limit is per process; and you could even
move data to private ETS tables from the heap for extremely memory hungry
processes if nothing else helps.
If parts of your code needs HiPE, consider splitting out that part into a
separate 32-bit VM running on the same node. So you will have two nodes
per host: one half-word node for processes handling lot of data, and one
32-bit node with HiPE for processes doing number crunching.
Regards,
Daniel