[erlang-questions] Building / releasing with HIPE / native

Adrian Roe roe.adrian@REDACTED
Thu Apr 3 12:36:37 CEST 2014

Paul / Kostis / Group

First off many thanks for your help - I have got to the bottom of what was happening.  Basically there are beam files included in the src release tar balls that meant certain beams were not being built.  The details are below and I would be interested to know if the presence of the beam files in the source tar balls is deliberate.

I was building Erlang from a script that did the following:

# Download and install erlang
OtpDir=otp_src_R16B03-1

rm -rf $OtpDir

wget http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R16B03-1.tar.gz
tar xf otp_src_R16B03-1.tar.gz
rm otp_src_R16B03-1.tar.gz

pushd $OtpDir

./configure --enable-native-libs
make
sudo make install
popd

Every time it tried again I would re-run the script so that what I was doing was entirely reproducible.

The issue is that the otp_src_R16B03-1.tar.gz contains files in otp_src_R16B03-1/lib/stdlib/ebin/ including lists.beam and others and the make process above was not marking the beams in that directory as obsolete (the beam files don't have a dependency on the Makefile).  I was concerned about side-effects from previous attempts impacting settings so between every attempt ran "rm -rf otp_src_R16B03-1” and started again - reintroducing the obsolete beams every time.

I think the minimal set of commands to get a native build from the src release tar is:

./configure --enable-native-libs
make clean # you need to run ./configure before clean as you don’t have a Makefile otherwise
./configure --enable-native-libs # as the make clean will have deleted the settings
make
sudo make install

This deletes the beams included in the top tar ball and then runs make from a clean base.  Pulling the source from Github should work as well as the beams are not part of the repo.

Thanks again for your help,

Adrian
--
Adrian Roe