[erlang-questions] Farewell to Erlang

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Tue Apr 1 18:25:27 CEST 2014

Break ups are always hard, on both sides.

But I agree with Loic, there's occasion to party, but for different reasons...

A brand newcomer was able to contribute to core Erlang - and the
compiler no less - for three years. That might still be "too closed"
for Anthony and others, but it's certainly something that a lot of
language communities can envy.

As a disgruntled contributor, Anthony has a viable alternative in
moving to Elixir - which is more closely aligned with his
sensibilities. That's a huge statement of openness and diversity
within the Erlang community at large (language/syntax aside). I don't
think there are *that* many folks here who care *that* much about the
Erlang language, but rather the problems the technology can solve.

I'm very happy that Anthony feels passionate about this platform to
continue directing his talents and energy. That he has a choice here
is a credit to the ecosystem.

Anthony, I wish you the best of luck with whatever you apply yourself
to. I'm sorry to see the negative sentiment expressed on the list
that's directed at you personally. That's unbecoming and I don't
believe representative of the Erlang community, which is typically
more constructive.

To that point, your "Dear John" letter may be cathartic for you
personally, but I think there are some here who would like to improve
the openness of the contributor process and could benefit from your
constructive feedback. I don't have details and perhaps this is simply
a personal dynamic and there's nothing further to exchange.

Garrett