[erlang-questions] Dangers of generating a large erlang module

Ivan Uemlianin ivan@REDACTED
Sun Sep 29 11:29:02 CEST 2013

Dear All

I am generating some erlang code from a csv file and using the function
save_compile_and_load/2 below to load it into the running system.  The
input csv is essentially a series of rules, so the outpout erlang has
roughly the same number of lines as the input has lines.

     save_compile_and_load(FilePath, Text) ->
         file:write_file(FilePath, Text),
         {ok, ModName} = compile:file(FilePath),  % <--
         {module, _M} = code:load_file(ModName),
         code:purge(ModName),
         ok.

All goes well on small test files, but the files I want to use IRL are
relatively large --- around 120,000 lines.

Running on a Mac (oldish, probably with 32bit emulator), compiling (the
line marked in the code below) causes an error and crashes the VM, with
several repeats of this error message:

     beam.smp(1992,0xb022b000) malloc:
       *** mmap(size=913309696) failed (error code=12)
       *** error: can't allocate region

Running on linux with (presumably) a 64bit emulator, the compile works,
but takes about 15 minutes.

I'm not especially bothered that it takes a long time, but I am worried
that this is something that could crash the whole system.

I'm looking into splitting up the code into several smaller modules, but
obviously I'd rather avoid crashing the VM.

Questions:
- is compiling large files on a 64bit emulator safe?  What effects could
there be on other processes?
- can I wrap the compile:file call in something so that it will bail out
if memory issues look likely (try/catch is no use)?

With thanks and best wishes

Ivan

Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
Llaisdy