[erlang-questions] Problematic SSL message publication

Ingela Andin ingela.andin@REDACTED
Wed Sep 25 10:09:06 CEST 2013

Hi!

2013/9/24 Ryan Brown <ryankbrown@REDACTED>

> We have a fairly high-volume (28m+ messages/day) application that works,
> essentially, as a pub-sub for many internal and external applications. We
> are experiencing an issue under load where and subscribers that are using
> ssl are experiencing a significant slowness in delivery. When we restart
> the server we begin watching the processes in our application and we can,
> very reliably and fairly quickly, see the ssl_manager_sup process message
> queue start increasing in size. As this happens, all messages for those
> subscribers with ssl endpoints begin to back-up and delivery slows to a
> near halt.

What messages are there in the queue?

It appears that ssl is a bit of a known issue within erlang. Or, at least,
> a tricky use-case to perfect. Are there any known issues that we can
> address in terms of configuration, best practices in setting-up ssl
> connections or anything else for that matter we can be doing to resolve
> this issue or more clearly identify the root cause? We're in active
> troubleshooting mode and doing what we can to dig deeper including
> dissecting the code to the kernel.
>
> We are running Erlang 15B02 (64bit).

So that would be ssl-5.1?  Is it possible to reproduce the problem on the
latest version ?

Regards Ingela Erlang/OTP team - Ericsson AB