[erlang-questions] Software Estimation and Progress Tracking

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Thu Sep 19 12:19:16 CEST 2013

On 19 Sep 2013, at 11:59, Jesper Louis Andersen <jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED> wrote:

> Software is not "construction". It turns out to be "research". Regarding it as "construction" by imposing estimates and progress tracking is usually futile due to this dichotomy and the fact people missed it was "research".

Yes, but in my experience, this is how most research funding is determined as well: "We estimate that we will invent X in month 47 of the project, after which we will discover Y based on X in month 64, having spent N number of man-months in the process."

BR,
Ulf

Ulf Wiger, Co-founder & Developer Advocate, Feuerlabs Inc.
http://feuerlabs.com