[erlang-questions] Desing of MVC models

Fri Sep 13 11:59:19 CEST 2013

The MVC pattern is prominent in other languages due to a few facts:

* Shared Nothing - The only way to persist data over multiple independent
connections is to push it down to a DB layer so you can communicate data
from A to B.
* Safety - If you want your data to survive a crash it *must* be put on
stable storage all the time

It is quite shocking how much of our typical infrastructure relies on
massive databases and big caches in order to be able to run individual
processes on a UNIX system.

In Erlang, you have options. Safety is had due to isolation, so you don't
have to push data onto stable storage as often. And you can quickly
communicate in the same memory space between processes, so you don't need a
mediating DB layer.

Many game servers written in Erlang just keeps most of the game state in a
process concurrent to the incoming HTTP requests. And then they use
something like gproc to find the game and update its internal state logic.

As Loic suggests, writing the game server should be possible without DB
access, nor with HTTP access.