[erlang-questions] On Pull Requests Comments

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Mon Oct 21 20:04:01 CEST 2013

Should we skip sending mails to erlang-patches@ from now on?

> We create them because the changes are then easily put into our
> review system and we can actually keep track of them. With the ML's
> the patches can get lost in the signal/noise ratio.
>
> We at OTP don't use GitHub for bug-tracking, we merely use GH as a
> conduit to you, the community, and it seemed like the most effective
> tool for us to do this. We can also automate certain things for it,
> like doc and build testing. Saves time.

Given the use of pull requests for otp.git, what about automatically
syncing bugs to/from https://github.com/erlang/otp/issues?

>> I don't care about pull requests for typos, but that's all they
>> should be used for.
>
> My thoughts on this.
>
> I will certianly agree with you that GH has shortcomings. Especially
> with issue tracking but also with pull requests (to a lesser
> degree). I don't think we will ever use the issue tracking on GH as
> it is just plain awful for larger projects but it might be suitable
> for other things, like community driven tasks.
>
> I don't share your concern that the history of a pull requsts can
> change or gets lost (deleted). I mean, I do belive this might happen

I think Anthony is right, and using the patch-queue approach of a
cleanly rebased branch, code comments can also disappear. I haven't
figured out the pattern yet, but sometimes after a rebase old comments
are still linked but collapsed, and sometimes they're gone. I prefer
Gerrit's code review functionality for this particularly feature.
Also, the way github inserts new commits into the discussion is
debatable.