[erlang-questions] run_erl logfiles and cron

Jay Doane jay.s.doane@REDACTED
Thu Nov 28 00:23:07 CET 2013

Hi,

As an expedient, when the host is booted, I'm starting an erlang project
with cron using something similar to the following in a crontab:

@reboot ~/my_proj/rel/my_proj/bin/my_proj start

where my_proj is built using "rebar compile generate".

While this *does* actually start the erlang project, the "run_erl" logfiles
it generates differ from those that are generated when the project is
started from the command line using the same command; *each log entry is
suffixed with a (node@REDACTED)1> prompt.*

For example, here's a snippet of log started via cron (weird suffixes
highlighted in red)

Eshell V5.9.2  (abort with ^G)
(my_proj@REDACTED)1>
=INFO REPORT==== 27-Nov-2013::19:41:54 ===
Registering 0 remote connections on node '
my_proj@REDACTED'(
my_proj@REDACTED)1>
=INFO REPORT==== 27-Nov-2013::19:41:54 ===
Node 'my_proj@REDACTED' connected with 0 users(
my_proj@REDACTED)1>

And the same snippet later when started from bash:

Eshell V5.9.2  (abort with ^G)
(my_proj@REDACTED)1>
=INFO REPORT==== 27-Nov-2013::19:56:42 ===
Registering 0 remote connections on node '
my_proj@REDACTED'
=INFO REPORT==== 27-Nov-2013::19:56:42 ===
Node 'my_proj@REDACTED' connected with 0 users

Can anyone give me any clues as to why this might be happening, and
especially suggestions on how to stop it?

Thanks,
Jay