[erlang-questions] No producing crash dump file

James Kingsbery 06jameskingsbery@REDACTED
Mon Nov 11 17:13:59 CET 2013

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to Erlang and there's a problem I don't quite
understand. I'm running ejabberd, and every so often it crashes. To figure
out why it crashed, I know to look in the erl_crash.dump. The problem is,
there doesn't seem to be any erl_crash.dump file. There is a core dump file
though. Loading it into gdb and running "bt full," here are the top two
frames:

(gdb) bt full
#0  0x000000000054df83 in prepare_crash_dump (secs=<optimized out>) at
sys/unix/sys.c:735
        max = <optimized out>
        env = "\005", '\000' <repeats 15 times>"\200, \373!ڴ"
        heart_port = 0x7fb46f31eab0
        hp = 0x7fb4d6efb938
        heart_fd = {865035, -1}
        has_heart = 0
        i = <optimized out>
        envsz = <optimized out>
        heap = {4460060, 140412855877120, 1}
        list = 18446744073709551611
#1  erts_sys_prepare_crash_dump (secs=<optimized out>) at sys/unix/sys.c:780

So, it appears that it crashed while it was trying to write the crash dump,
but didn't get all the way. I did some research, and it sounds a lot like a
problem that had been posted earlier (
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/erlang-programming/XH2Uly6hsLY/aeR2Yx2UkZMJ).
Heart was not enabled on the command line, which means this shouldn't be
the problem, but... in the core dump, heart_port is set to something
non-null. This should mean that heart is lurking somewhere, shouldn't it?
If so, is there a way to tell heart to *really* not run?

Any help anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Jamie