[erlang-questions] [eeps] Maps

Patrik Nyblom pan@REDACTED
Fri May 17 11:11:44 CEST 2013

Hi!

I think we need to clarify a few things from the perspective of the
technical board that gave Björn-Egil the premises for this EEP.

1) Maps are Maps and Frames are Frames. Maps is not some kind of
extension to Frames, as Frames hold properties that Maps never should
hold. What was decided, and what Björn-Egil is working on, was to
investigate if a clever implementation of a dictionary can be a good
enough record replacement to be used in situations like interfaces
between modules, instead of records and property lists. As the
implementation is not yet done, we only have the interface to Maps to
discuss. Even if the EEP mentions complexity, we still have to see if
the implementation in a "record-like" situation can be made efficient
both when it comes to memory consumption and time complexity.

2) Maps is *not* to be implemented using HAMT's, so discussing the
complexity or implementation of HAMT's is interesting, but beside the
point. The task is to define an ordered dictionary. Maps have keys in
order. How that is implemented is not defined and that job is yet to be
done. A maximal O(log N) complexity in look up was the only requirement,
but an implementation with low memory consumption for "simple" Maps was
*suggested*. Discussing characteristics of an implementation that is no
more than a general idea seems futile. There are expectations, but no
facts about the performance characteristics.

3) The behavior of float and integer keys that compare equal is the same
as the one for ordered_set ETS tables. Even though we don't like it,
that behavior is the only consistent we've found for ordered
dictionaries. If we want to define two types of comparison in Erlang,
that is another discussion. (An EEP for that would be welcome. Do not
forget to add suggestions for all current interfaces where order is
used, like lists:sort, orddict etc.)

4) Maps is supposed to be general, a general mapping from keys to
values. The thinking was that the current data types (at least the
compound ones) are very general. Also the current dictionaries have no
restrictions on the keys or values. A Map data type should of course not
have that either. When used in place of records, the Map gives maybe to
much freedom, that is the price to pay when being very general.

5) To be able to differentiate between operations where you possibly add
new keys and operations where you replace existing keys was a
requirement. The arguments have already been outlined in Joe's earlier
posts, so I see no point in repeating that.

6) Imposing an order on the keys was thought to make the data type fit
better with the current built in types. Using for example the HAMT
implementation to describe the order between Maps, to have a
serialization looking different depending on how the map was
constructed, or having random order of the keys when serializing or
displaying the data, would make the Map an odd creature in the Erlang
world. If we for example want to serialize and send two Maps to a
program written in another language, we would like to be able to
describe the order between the Maps so that comparison could be done in
that other language. The order between Maps as they look in this EEP is
easily described and comparison is simple to implement. Suggestions like
"sorting the MAP before comparing and printing" was rejected. Making a
comparison between two elements possibly have the complexity of O(N log
N) was thought unacceptable.

7) To publish an EEP even before there was a prototype implementation
was a requirement from the technical board, as we wanted feedback on the
API, the semantics etc. I think this thread has shown that there is
definitely a lot to discuss. It however also shows that as long as there
is no description of the actual implementation, there's a lot that
cannot be discussed, but we really would want to discuss...

So - these were the premises and I think Björn-Egil has done a really
good job in writing this EEP. A lot of people has also taken the time to
give valuable feedback. I think the EEP and the current feedback gives
me reason enough to suggest a prototype implementation. Possibly with a
few adjustments to the EEP text, examples etc.

Cheers,
Patrik