[erlang-questions] Maps

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Sat May 11 00:52:38 CEST 2013

Matching no (match context and sub binaries prevent the need for copying
anything), sending to another process no (smaller, plus above 64 bytes
binaries are not copied), appending no (you can always prepend a string,
but that's hardly intuitive use when manipulating text), etc.

On 05/11/2013 12:45 AM, Robert Virding wrote:
> Processing lists of integers is faster than processing binaries, which
> is not surprising really.
>
> Robert

>     *From: *"Steve Davis" <steven.charles.davis@REDACTED>
>
>     I offer the suggestion that if "strings" were not processed as "just
>     lists of integers" but treated as the binary data that they are then
>     you'd not be needing to do this kind of thing...
>
>     However, owing to that incorrect insistence in most of the platform
>     apis, I can see that it's hard to avoid.
>
>     best,
>     /s
>
>     On Friday, May 10, 2013 11:30:15 AM UTC-5, Max Lapshin wrote:
>
>         Guys.
>
>         erlang is a rather simple language, which is seriously spoiled by
>         endless list_to_binary and binary_to_list conversions. Are you
>         really
>         sure that we need  map_to_frame and frame_to_map ?

Loïc Hoguin
Erlang Cowboy
Nine Nines
http://ninenines.eu