[erlang-questions] Maps

Björn-Egil Dahlberg egil@REDACTED
Wed May 8 16:18:57 CEST 2013

Hi everyone!

We finally have a Maps EEP for you. This will get you an idea on what we
are working on. Some of the ideas presented here was presented at Erlang
Factory SF Bay Area 2013.

I am sure that there will be some discussions about the contents of this
EEP and I hope the discussions will be both fruitful and civilized.

The journey of Maps and this EEP has been long and by no means a
straight-forward or continuous one. I had a crystal clear picture of
what I wanted Maps to be when we first started discussing it within OTP
about two-three years ago. This EEP resembles that vision but it has had
a lot of contributions of other ideas from both within and outside of OTP.

The idea was a functional data-type, a syntax aware mapping of key-value
associations with pattern matching. A syntax similar to records but
without the hazzle of compile-time dependency and with arbitrary terms
as keys. Order was not important and it could be implemented with a
Hash-Array-Mapped-Trie with good performance and memory trade-offs. This
was not an approach to replace records. It was meant to replace records
where suitable and in other regards not be a replacement but its own thing.

 From the community there has been many wishes of a Map like data-type
and a few suggestions.  The one suggestion that stands out is of course
the Frames proposal from Richard O'Keefe. It is the most complete
proposal I've seen and is very well thought out. Its goal is to be a
record replacement and the proposal satisfies this goal very well.

- If Frames are that good, why a separate EEP?
- It boils down to goals and constraints.

A record replacement is just that, a replacement.
It's like asking the question, "What do we have?" instead of "What can
we get?"
The instant rebuttal would be "What do we need?" I say Maps.

Frames has certainly influenced Maps. In many regards Maps also
encompasses Frames but Maps tries to do more. I think the most
significant difference would be, arbitrary terms as keys and how many
different keys we would have in a Map. In the end I believe they are two
different things and have different goals.

Some Notes and Disclaimers:

Later iterations of Maps has gone through some changes, most significantly,

   * From a set of key-values to a ordered set of key-value associations

I was originally against this change since it forces restrictions on the
implementation and it illuminates the lack of distinction between
arithmetic order and term order, i.e. the problem of mixing integer and
float types as keys in a tree. However, I was later persuaded that key
ordering is necessary. We have to respect the totalitarian order of terms.

Considerations has been made on how to, if at all possible, apply Frames
characteristics to Maps. Most significantly memory space and key-sharing
characteristics. This is not detailed in the EEP though, just mentioned.

The function interface has had many revisions as well. At some stage the
API was considered to be a drop-in-replacement for `dict` and thus would
have the same function-names. This goal/constraint was dropped by
Technical Board decision recently.

 From the very beginning Maps was envisioned to have the ability to bind
variables derived from the environment. Like this:

     function(K1, #{ K1 := K2, K2 := V }) -> V.

This feature is a beast. Powerful and scary. It is not confined to only
Maps but should also be applicable to other types as well:

     function(Skip, <<_:Skip/binary, Value:Size, _/bits>>, Size) -> Value.

It is uncertain how effective such an implementation would be and in the
end we might not want this feature at all.

In this EEP we will describe syntax and semantics of Maps but very
little is disclosed of its actual implementation. Current prototypes
stems from using sparse tuples in a HAMT-like data structure and
tuple-like data structures. The HAMT-like data structure is discontinued
and will be replaced by some ordered tree.

The proposal is included as an attachment but can also be viewed at this
git-repository:
https://github.com/psyeugenic/eep/blob/egil/maps/eeps/eep-0043.md

Regards,
Björn-Egil Dahlberg