[erlang-questions] Hiding user input in escript

Bryan Hughes bryan@REDACTED
Wed Mar 20 00:08:11 CET 2013

Hi Bob,

Thanks for checking it out!  Guess not too many people are writing
scripts that need to deal with passwords.  I will go ahead and submit it
as a bug.

Cheers,
Bryan

On 3/19/13 4:01 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> R16B does not change anything for escript as far as I can tell.
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Bob Ippolito <bob@REDACTED
> <mailto:bob@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>     I see io:get_password() in my io module in R15B03, but it doesn't
>     appear to work with escript because it uses the old 'user' rather
>     than 'group' which doesn't understand the get_password io request.
>     Haven't looked at R16B yet.
>

>     On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Bryan Hughes
>     <bryan@REDACTED <mailto:bryan@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>         Hi Everyone,
>
>         I found this old thread from 2009 about trying to hide user
>         input in an escript (e.g. entering a password).
>
>         http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2009-April/043311.html
>
>         It concluded with:
>>         The problem seems to be that escript uses the old shell, which
>>         does not support any way to control the terminal.
>>
>>         We'll have a look at escript for the next release and see whether
>>         it would be possible to have it run with the standard shell.
>
>         Does anyone know if this has been fixed.  I looked through the
>         docs and do not find io:get_password/0, or any options for
>         reading stdin to not echo the characters back.
>
>         Looking forward to meeting those of you attending Erlang
>         Factory in a couple of days.
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         --
>
>         Bryan Hughes
>         *Go Factory*
>         http://www.go-factory.net
>
>         /"Art is never finished, only abandoned. - Leonardo da Vinci"/

Bryan Hughes
CTO and Founder / *Go Factory*
(415) 515-7916