[erlang-questions] dialyzer working with lfe, joxa, et. al?

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Sun Mar 10 11:17:45 CET 2013

On 03/10/2013 01:57 AM, Robert Virding wrote:
>> From: "Kostis Sagonas"<kostis@REDACTED>
>>
>> On 03/07/2013 06:48 PM, Robert Virding wrote:
>>> Keep them crossed. :-) It's definitely not impossible, it "just"
>>> needs the dialyzer people to implement hooks to which we (LFE,
>>> Joxa, ...) can write plugins. It that were to happen I might even
>>> add type specifications to LFE.
>>
>> Even disregarding for the moment the question why would "the dialyzer
>> people" care about lfe, joxa, et al., (dialyzer: Discrepancy Analyzer
>> of
>> *Erlang* code) if you are not more specific than the above wish how
>> exactly do you expect them to know about the details of possible
>> hooks
>> that are needed by non-standard uses of dialyzer by other more exotic
>> languages out there?
>
> Well, if you want to be really strict then dialyzer works on *Core erlang* code. This is what dialyzer means by Erlang.

No, it's not. Just because dialyzer does its analysis on Core Erlang,
this does not mean that it was ever designed to analyze languages other
than Erlang.

I grant you that dialyzer's analysis is in principle applicable to other
languages that compile to Core Erlang, but I think that my previous mail
makes it clear that I also think that the responsibility for doing any
changes that are required lies with the developers of languages who are
interested in having such a tool for their language.

It's probably irrational to expect that non-users of a language care
about the tools that are available for it more than the community of
that language, isn't it?

Kostis