[erlang-questions] Nested match specifications?

Diego Llarrull diego.llarrull@REDACTED
Tue Mar 5 17:21:48 CET 2013

Ivan, Patrik:

Thank you both for the swift replies! Both provided functions that yield
the desired results. The functions are:

  (I) ets:match(table, {"Peter", [{"children", '$1'},'_'] }).
             (Ivan's)
(II) ets:select(xxx,ets:fun2ms(fun({"Peter",[{"children",Data}|_]}) ->
Data end)).   (Patrick's)

(II) is effectively rendered to

ets:select(xxx,[{{"Peter",{"children",'$1'}},[],['$1']}])

which is pretty similar to Ivan's suggestion. My final question (and I
so promise) is: it appears to me that (I) performs better than (II)
because of the lack of need of a transformation function such as
ets:fun2ms(). However, I don't known for sure whether ets:match()
outperforms ets:select() or not. I'm about to run a series of tests on
big datasets to check this, but I imagine that there is already an
answer to this question.

Once again, thank you very much.

Diego