[erlang-questions] How to use gpb?

Tomas Abrahamsson tomas.abrahamsson@REDACTED
Sat Jun 29 15:37:42 CEST 2013

Hi, Rebar by default uses another protobuf compiler for any *.proto files
it finds in the src subdirectory.

One way to use gpb with rebar is to put your *.proto in another
subdirectory, and use hooks to compile it. I got it working with the
following stuff in rebar.config:

    %% -*- erlang -*-
    {pre_hooks,
     [{compile, "mkdir -p include"}, %% ensure the include dir exists
      {compile,
       "erl +B -noinput -pa /path/to/gpb/ebin "
       "-I`pwd`/proto -o-erl src -o-hrl include "
       "-s gpb_compile c `pwd`/proto/x.proto"
      }]}.

    {post_hooks,
     [{clean, "rm -f src/x.erl include/x.hrl"}]}.

    {erl_opts, [{i, "/path/to/gpb/include"}]}.

and the following initial file/directory layout:

    prompt# find .
    .
    ./proto
    ./proto/x.proto